The RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange in Idaho application for summer 2023 is now OPEN!
Access the application HERE: https://idahoinbre.embark.com/apply/RAINexchange2023
Completed applications are due on November 2, 2022.
The Regional Alliance of INBRE Networks (RAIN) was formed to support regional collaborations focused on common scientific themes. Opportunities exist for undergraduate students from the region to participate in transformative research experiences in the RAIN states. Individual INBRE Programs within RAIN host expertise-specific student programs, such as lab fellowships, workshops, and summer camps.
1) Students from RAIN states (Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, and Wyoming) interested in visiting and working in Idaho may apply for a 2023 RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange in Idaho at the University of Idaho, Idaho State University, Boise State University, or the Idaho Veterans Research and Education Foundation at the Boise VA Medical Center.
The Idaho INBRE Program is offering paid research awards for students interested in biomedical research. The Idaho INBRE RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange is a competitive monetary award for students (INBRE RAIN Fellows) to conduct mentored research. The program pays each awarded INBRE RAIN Fellow to work full-time in an established faculty laboratory for 10 weeks during the summer. In addition to conducting guided research, INBRE RAIN Fellows will attend professional development and scientific seminar presentations and will prepare a poster highlighting their work to be presented at the Idaho INBRE Research Conference in Moscow.
Details of the program.
Program Starting Date: May 15, 2023
Program Ending Date: Last day of INBRE Conference or one travel day thereafter, depending upon institution
INBRE Conference Dates: July 24-26, 2023
Pay: up to $7200 for the summer (paid as hourly wage over the working dates of the program)
University of Idaho Fellows Mentors, Idaho State University Fellows Mentors, Boise State University Fellows Mentors, IVREF Fellows Mentors
How To Apply:
1. Review the Faculty Mentor’s list (links above). You may choose up to three mentors from the University of Idaho, Idaho State University, Boise State University, or the Idaho Veterans Research and Education Foundation.
2. Obtain a copy of your most recent college transcripts – unofficial copies are acceptable. Be sure to save the transcripts in an easily accessible PDF format.
3. Identify 1 reference and invite them to submit their reference using the ‘Register References’ tab in the left-hand column of the online application form – references from science faculty/instructors are preferred. The register references tab is available as soon as you begin your application so invite your references early! References are due on November 2, 2022.
4. Complete and submit the application form by the due date of November 2, 2022.
For questions, contact the INBRE office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-885-5373
The RAIN Undergraduate Research Student Exchange is competitive. The number of applications we receive will exceed the available Fellowships. To be considered for a Fellowship we must receive your completed application including transcripts and letters of reference by the due date of November 2, 2022. We cannot consider incomplete packets.
Fellowship awards will be announced in December 2022.
How are students selected to be RAIN Visiting Fellows?
The INBRE Fellows are the best and brightest undergraduate students in the RAIN Region. The selection process is competitive and rigorous. Students submit an application form that includes a few short essays, their GPA, one reference and their college transcript(s).
Requirements for being a Fellow: 1)Students must currently be enrolled at an institution in a RAIN state (Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming). 2) Students must be graduating on or after December 2023. Students graduating in May or August 2023 are not eligible for Fellowships in 2023.
Criteria for Fellows selection:
The following criteria are used by Idaho INBRE when choosing RAIN Visiting Fellows. These criteria are considered as a ‘whole’, and not necessarily in the order listed.
1. Interest in biomedical science and research
2. Academic record, including science classes taken and GPA
3. Reference letters
4. Date of expected graduation
5. Current institution – with consideration given for the research opportunities available to you at that institution
6. Family educational background
7. State in which you graduated high school (preference is given for those who graduated high school in the Western INBRE region)
8. Obstacles you have overcome to obtain your education
***Idaho INBRE RAIN Fellows will be offered a package that includes summer pay and housing. Travel for 1 round trip to/from Idaho is available. INBRE RAIN Fellows should contact their HOME state INBRE office for details.